The 21st Maccabiah Games, scheduled to take place in Israel in 2021, has been postponed for a year due to the ongoing Coronavirus outbreak.
The Games will now take place from 12-26 July 2022. The main reason for the postponement of the event was the separate postponement of the Olympic Games from 2020 to 2021. Although our preparation plans have been changed, it gives us an extra year to work hard and ensure all our sporting sides are in better shape, enabling us to win more medals for team SA.
We encourage all juniors, currently aged 13-16 to get involved in Maccabi as we continue this journey together.
We hope everyone stays safe and healthy during this time and we look forward to resuming Maccabi activities in the near future.
WP Maccabi Sports Director, Saul Jackson, firstname.lastname@example.org
Q & A with the Maccabi coaches
• What age group are you coaching?
• Favourite Maccabi Games moment as a player/coach?
• What are you most excited about for the next Maccabi Games?
• I am coaching the u18 boys Futsal Team. I feel very privileged to coach this bunch of boys.
• This will be my 3rd Maccabi Games. I would say a couple of my best moments were when all the nations sing the Israeli Anthem together, proper goosebump moment. Also from an on the pitch perspective, when we won Bronze at the 2017 Maccabi Games.
• Firstly, to be as successful as we can as a team. Also to see those people from different countries I have met over the years and lastly the sight-seeing.
• Dylan and myself are the coaches of the u16 Maccabi South African futsal team.
• My favourite moment from my Maccabi Games experience was the ability to captain the South African futsal team and walk us out the tunnel for our opening game in Germany in 2015. This was a much-awaited milestone for me and it gave me great pride to have this opportunity.
• I am most excited to be able to relive many of my experiences through those of the u16 players. I remember my experience in a very positive light, so will make sure to allow for the team to experience the Maccabi Games in a similar manner. I feel very privileged to be offered the chance to be back at the Maccabi Games and look forward to another competitive and enticing affair.
• I am the U18 Boys Futsal Manager….
• The most memorable parts of my 2017 Maccabi games experience were the interactions I had with people from around the world — trading badges and curios at the opening ceremony, as well as being a proud young Jew representing South Africa and of course, the special bonds i made with my teammates.
• I am most excited to be able to… It’s a once-in-a-lifetime experience that they will take with them forever.
• I am currently a Co-coach of the U16 futsal boys.
• My favourite moment would be representing South Africa at the European Maccabi games in Berlin, in 2016.
• Since 2016, there has been a dramatic improvement, specifically in futsal within the South African junior delegation. I am excited to see our team compete and hopefully return with some silverware.
Maccabi SA www.maccabi.co.za
To read or download the full June 2020 issue PDF of the Chronicle, click here
To keep up to date on COVID-19 related community news, click here
Portal to the Jewish Community: to see a list of all the Jewish organisations in Cape Town with links to their websites, click here
To receive the Chronicle each month in your inbox instead of your postbox please email email@example.com and we will make it happen.
Follow the Chronicle: Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | LinkedIn