In the lead-up to Rosh Hashana, Sarah Feldman, rebbetzin, wife, mom, entrepreneur and fabulous baker, shares two wonderful recipes with our readers, so that we can all enjoy a sweet new year.
On her blog, www.rabbiswife.com, Sarah says of the apple cake “I baked this divine apple cinnamon cake which is perfect for Rosh Hashanah. I’m not usually a fan of cooked or baked apples but this cake is something else!”
She also tells us more about her mom’s honey biscuit recipe. “[it] has always been a favorite growing up… the biscuits literally melt in your mouth! There is nothing really healthy about them but here is my 20/80 rule; if you eat healthy 80 percent of the time you can cheat the other 20 percent of the time. You can always replace regular oil with coconut oil, replace white sugar with brown sugar or honey and can use spelt flour instead of regular white flour.” Sarah wishes all our readers a “Happy and Sweet new year filled with all of G-d’s greatest blessings!”
APPLE CINNAMON CAKE FOR ROSH HASHANAH
6 large apples (eg: Cortland, Honeycrisp or Granny Smith) cored, peeled, quartered and thinly sliced.
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp spelt or regular flour
1 3/4 cups brown sugar
1 cup light olive oil
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 3/4 cups spelt or regular flour
3 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 cup Apple juice
confectioner’s sugar for dusting.
1. Preheat oven to 175. Coat a 12 cup Bundt pan or 9 x 13-inch baking pan with nonstick spray.
2. Filling: In a large bowl, combine all filling ingredients. Toss to combine .
3. Batter: in the large bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat eggs with sugar, oil and vanilla on medium high speed for 3-5 minutes, until light.
4. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Stir to combine.
5. Reduce mixer speed to low. Add half of flour mixture; then blend in juice, followed by remaining flour mixture. Use a rubber spatula to fold in apples.
6. Pour batter into prepared pan; spread evenly.
7. Bake about 1 hour and 15 minutes if using a Bundt pan or 1 hour if using a 9 x 13-inch baking pan. Dust cake with confectioners’ sugar when cool.
DELISH HONEY BISCUITS
1 glass oil – glass is a bit bigger than a cup
1 glass honey
1 glass sugar
Dash of cinnamon
Dash of ginger (optional)
2 tsp bicarbonate soda
8 cups flour
Mix oil, honey and sugar together.
Add in one egg at a time and mix.
Stir while adding the rest of ingredients.
Make golf size balls and leave spaces in between because they do grow.
Bake @ 180 for 10- 15 minutes. You can take them out as soon as they are light brown.
They freeze well!
Latest posts by Jewish Chronicle (see all)
- The February issue of the Jewish Chronicle is now available for download (scroll down) - February 3, 2020
- Chagall painting available for first time in over two decades - December 17, 2019
- The December / January issue of the Chronicle is available online! (scroll down to download) - December 1, 2019