The Life of Ali Bacher: from the cricket field to the boardroom
Opening night for the SA Jewish Museum’s highly anticipated summer exhibition on the life of South African cricket legend Ali Bacher had been planned as an in-person event for 12 December 2021.
Covid concerns resulted in the decision to hold the opening on Zoom with just an intimate gathering at the museum of Ali and his wife, children and grandchildren. This turned out to be a perfect solution. Ali’s family, friends, colleagues as well as dignitaries and cricket enthusiasts around the world were able to honour his life together on Zoom, while he spoke surrounded by the people most special to him.
SAJM director Gavin Morris kicked off the ceremony with a welcome and an overview of the exhibition. He then introduced Ali’s great confidante and fellow cricketer, Don Mackay-Coghill, who delivered a keynote speech reflecting the decades of enduring friendship between them.
Then Ali took the podium, engaging his audience in a warm response laced with anecdotes about his leadership role during some of the most momentous years in South African history. As he spoke, viewers could see footage of the exhibition’s fascinating panels, artefacts and films, some not seen since the 1960s. To close the ceremony, Ros Goldin, Ali’s close associate who had directed the exhibition content and written the text, presented him with a gift from Mackay-Coghill. The Bacher family concluded the evening with a private viewing of the life and times of their remarkable relative.
The Life of Ali Bacher: from the cricket field to the boardroom can be viewed at the SAJM for the summer season. The exhibition has broad appeal — it will interest anyone who enjoys cricket, history or simply great stories about some of South Africa’s most famous sporting and political leaders.
For more information please go to www.sajewishmuseum.co.za
• Published in the PDF edition of the February 2022 issue – Click here to get it.
• To advertise in the Cape Jewish Chronicle and on this website – contact Karyn on 021 464 6700 ext. 104 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information and advertising rate card click here.
• Sign up for our newsletter and never miss another issue.
• Please support the Cape Jewish Chronicle with a voluntary Subscription for 2022. For payment info click here.
• Visit our Portal to the Jewish Community to see a list of all the Jewish organisations in Cape Town with links to their websites.
Follow the Chronicle: Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | LinkedIn