Our very own CJC columnist Anton Katz SC was recently thrust into the limelight.
Last month it was confirmed that along with two other advocates — Kessler Perumalsamy and Eshed Cohen (also a member of our CT community) — Katz would be joining the team from the NPA and The Department of Justice, working to finalise the formal extradition of brothers Atul and Rajesh Gupta from the UAE, where they were recently arrested, to face charges related to state capture and corruption, in South Africa.
When Justice Minister Ronald Lamola made an appeal earlier this year at the annual meeting of the Law Society, for members of the profession to make available their legal services to the prosecution of corruption-related charges, Katz responded by offering his services.
Katz is considered a leading expert in the field, and has appeared in all of the country’s superior courts on extradition-related matters. News of his inclusion in the team is being hailed as a great boost to the case.
Anton Katz is the author of the monthly Cape Jewish Chronicle column, A view from the bar. You can read this month’s offering on page 24, and previous columns by going to https://cjc.org.za (search for Anton Katz in the search bar).
• Published in the PDF edition of the July 2022 issue – Click here to read it.
• To advertise in the Cape Jewish Chronicle and on this website – contact us on 021 464 6700 ext. 104 or email email@example.com. For more information and advertising rate card click here.
• Sign up for our newsletter and never miss another issue.
• Please support the Cape Jewish Chronicle with a voluntary Subscription for 2022. For payment info click here.
• Visit our Portal to the Jewish Community to see a list of all the Jewish organisations in Cape Town with links to their websites.
Follow the Chronicle: Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | LinkedIn