July and August were filled with donating, celebrating, and making a difference at the UJW Cape Town branch with collections, food parcels, carnivals, Mandela Day and all our ongoing support to our beneficiaries.
Bags for new beginnings: We relaunched our Baby Bag project this month with bags being handed out to new moms in the Kangaroo Unit at Tygerberg Hospital.
Women’s Empowerment Project completed a basic counselling course for a group of women from disadvantaged backgrounds. These wonderful women will take our programme out into their communities and replicate what they have learned.
UJW celebrated Youth Day by inviting WP Maccabi U16 and U18 netball girls and Cape Town Torah High School boys to participate in a tournament against the soccer and netball teams from Noluntu’s Kitchen. It was a fantastic afternoon of competitive sport and camaraderie.
Kensington Educare turns 80: KEC celebrated turning 80 this year with a Community Carnival. It was a roaring success, and the kids had a great time!
Mensch Food Scheme: Through a grant admini-stered by the Mensch Network we launched our food scheme distributing food monthly to four of the educare and drop-in centres we support.
Mama Flo celebrated their second birthday with handouts of sanitary pads on Youth Day at Site B Khayelitsha, and on Women’s Day in Mfuleni.
Mandela Day: This Mandela Day we supported Panties For Africa. Their goal is to end underwear poverty and restore confidence in young women. Our groups also organised events which included: gifting children with beanies, making soup and handing it out to the aged in the community and making cloth toys with moms of babies in the Kangaroo Unit at Somerset Hospital.
If you would like to volunteer or join a group, please call the office on 021 434 9555
Shana Tova from all at UJW
Visit the Union of Jewish Women website, and follow UJW on Facebook
• Published in the September 2022 Rosh Hashanah Digital Edition – Click here to read it.
• To advertise in the Cape Jewish Chronicle and on this website – kindly contact Lynette Roodt on 021 464 6736 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information and advertising rate card click here.
• Sign up for our newsletter and never miss another issue.
• Please support the Cape Jewish Chronicle with a voluntary Subscription for 2022. For payment info click here.
• Visit our Portal to the Jewish Community to see a list of all the Jewish organisations in Cape Town with links to their websites.
Follow the Cape Jewish Chronicle: Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | LinkedIn