This past month or so has been a very productive one for Habonim Dror SA. We had our first Veida since the pandemic and ran the first of two leadership seminars for our incumbent steering committee. But perhaps most significantly, we also bade farewell to this year’s Shnat cohort.
Speaking as a past participant, Shnat is HDSA’s premier offering in terms of programming, a gap year (10 months to be exact) in Israel for those who have just matriculated. Shnat is a hugely exciting time for all those who take part. Not only does it offer a full year of life in Israel with lots of freedom and new people to meet while being supported by fantastic Madrichim, but also has some of the best educational and ideological material I have come across in my twelve years in the movement.
This year’s Shnatties can look forward to the hours of gripping discussion and learning at Jerusalem’s Leadership Institute, Machon LeMadrichim, the satisfaction of honest work while living on Kibbutz Revivim, and the fulfilment of giving back as they complete their Messimah. We recently held two farewell events for the Shnatties, one in Cape Town and one in Joburg. I attended the Cape Town leg, and it was definitely a bittersweet moment. While they are about to embark on the journey of a lifetime, we will certainly miss their fantastic enthusiasm and contributions to the movement’s workings. Good luck in Israel, Ogen!
— Sam Mcnally, Rosh Publications
Keep up to date!
Habonim: website: Habonim Dror SA, Facebook HabonimSA
Netzer: website: Netzer.org.za, Instagram netzer_southafrica
Bnei Akiva: website: Beni Akiva South Africa, Facebook Bnei Akiva Cape Town
SAUJS Western Cape: Facebook @SAUJS, Instagram @saujs_westerncape
Diller Teen Fellows: website: Diller Teen Fellows , Facebook Diller Teen Fellows, Instagram @diller.capetown
Find the SA Zionist Federation – Cape Council online:
Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, www.sazfcape.co.za
• Published in the March 2023 Digital Edition – Click here to start reading.
• To advertise in the Cape Jewish Chronicle and on this website – kindly contact Lynette Roodt on 021 464 6736 or email email@example.com. For more information and advertising rate card click here.
• Sign up for our newsletter and never miss another issue.
• Please support the Cape Jewish Chronicle with a voluntary Subscription for 2023. For payment info click here.
• Visit our Portal to the Jewish Community to see a list of all the Jewish organisations in Cape Town with links to their websites.
Follow the Cape Jewish Chronicle: Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | LinkedIn