The Jewish Literary Festival 2023 will host some of the country’s greatest thinkers and writers on Human Rights Day (21 March) this year in Cape Town. Join us for a provocative series of panels on business, politics, sport, history, narrative, identity, heroes, villains and more!
Renowned British historian Simon Sebag Montefiore is our guest of honour and will discuss his latest book ‘The World’, which takes a wide-angle lens on global history via the shenanigans of ruling families through the ages.
And from global to local ‘families’! Beloved Evita Bezuidenhout’s alter-ego Pieter-Dirk Uys joins a panel on breaking boundaries through the arts, with Aviva Pelham and Des Lindberg. And prepare yourself for a plenary performance with Pieter-Dirk as he speaks of his Jewish roots in ‘PS I’m Jewish’.
In honour of Human Rights Day, we examine the value of an apology when co – editors and professors, Melanie Judge and Dee Smythe, discuss their book ‘Unsettling Apologies’; while the trauma of seeking justice is unpacked with authors Antony Altbeker, Liz McGregor, Janine Lazarus and moderator Beverly Lester,
Other international guests include British historical fiction writer Louisa Treger; Denis Hirson from France and John Schlapobersky from the UK.
SA – What next? – Colin Coleman and Tony Leon discuss that burning question while ‘Disruption’ also looks to the future – as Steven ‘Boykey’ Sidley and ‘Breach’ author Ronen Aires converse with Ran Neuner, host of CNBC’s Crypto Trader show.
Allen Ambor and Rael Levitt will reveal their secrets for entrepreneurial success and we also learn how to ‘Thrive’ with Richard Sutton. Talented local authors Gail Schimmel, Kate Sidley, Jonathan Ancer, Nechama Brodie, Joanne Jowell, and Patricia Schonstein join the line–up along with Hedi Lampert, Angela Rothbart and more.
Choose from over 25 sessions plus two plenary sessions, enjoy a delicious boxed lunch and coffee as part of the ticket price, browse books and chat to authors at the pop-up Book Lounge between sessions.
For the full programme and details www.jewishliteraryfestival.co.za
Booking on Quicket https://qkt.io/jW9VTY
Date: March 21, 2023
Time: 9am to 6pm
Jewish Literary Festival www.jewishliteraryfestival.co.za
• Click here to start reading the March 2023 Digital Edition of the Cape Jewish Chronicle.
• To advertise in the Cape Jewish Chronicle and on this website – kindly contact Lynette Roodt on 021 464 6736 or email email@example.com. For more information and advertising rate card click here.
• Sign up for our newsletter and never miss another issue.
• Please support the Cape Jewish Chronicle with a voluntary Subscription for 2023. For payment info click here.
• Visit our Portal to the Jewish Community to see a list of all the Jewish organisations in Cape Town with links to their websites.
Follow the Cape Jewish Chronicle: Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | LinkedIn