This month, Cape Town artist Patsy Groll will be holding her first solo exhibition.
Patsy was born in 1956 and enjoyed a gentle childhood and schooling in the southern suburbs of Cape Town.
After attending UCT’s Michaelis School of Fine Art where she studied graphic design, she embarked on a career in packaging and design.
During the early years of bringing up her children, she began working in ceramics — hand-building vessels and painting in underglazes on their surfaces as well as on tiles, and making small sculptures.
She has always been very excited by photography and loves to travel and to capture images of people, nature and life around her, using many of these images as reference for her work.
For this exhibition, she will be showing some of her ceramic pots, and paintings in underglazes on ceramic tiles, as well as oil paintings, drawings and sculptures. All of the source material for these works originates from her travels and from the world around her. The name of the exhibition is Journey, in reference to the personal nature of these images.
“I am known for my portraits, I think, and have always drawn faces even when I was a school girl, often drawing on the desks and in my text books! I also draw and paint flowers and special places, both in oil, and on and inside ceramic vessels.”
She works mostly with portraits and landscapes, using a broad variety of media including charcoal, pastels, acrylics, gouache, watercolour and oil paint. She has also worked with mosaics, using Mexican Smalti. Of these, her favourite is oil paint.
She has participated in many group exhibitions, showing both ceramics and paintings, and is particularly proud to have been chosen as one of the top 40 artists in the 2021 Sanlam National Portrait competition.
Journey can be seen at Rust-en-Vrede Gallery, 10 Wellington Road, Durbanville.
The exhibition runs from 15 April until 20 May with the official opening on Saturday 22 April 2023 at 11am.
• Published in the April 2023 Edition – Click here to start reading.
• To advertise in the Cape Jewish Chronicle and on this website – kindly contact Lynette Roodt on 021 464 6736 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information and advertising rate card click here.
• Sign up for our newsletter and never miss another issue.
• Please support the Cape Jewish Chronicle with a voluntary Subscription for 2023. For payment info click here.
• Visit our Portal to the Jewish Community to see a list of all the Jewish organisations in Cape Town with links to their websites.
Follow the Cape Jewish Chronicle: Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | LinkedIn