President of WIZO South Africa, Shelley Trope-Friedman was invited to address the Ruth Branch on the 23rd of June and the Gilah Branch on the 6th of July. Both branches had enjoyable in-person meetings on these days.
At the Ruth Branch meeting Shelley spoke about antisemitism facing us today, and gave an overview of the projects that WIZO South Africa supports in Israel. Batya Shmueli, former Cape Town Shaliach, gave a talk on her journey from Ethiopia to Israel.
At the Gilah Branch meeting, Shelley gave an interesting and inspiring talk linking the insights of Mandela Day with the values and ideals of WIZO. Angela Rothbart, the guest speaker spoke on her book, The Lightness of Air, inspired by the story of Holocaust survivor Henia Bryer.
These were informative and moving talks and it was so special for everyone to get together. President Shelley welcomes invitations to address other branches and we look forward to many more WIZO meetings and fundraisers throughout South Africa in the future.
Find WIZO SA on Facebook.
• Published in the August 2022 Digital Edition – Click here to read it.
• To advertise in the Cape Jewish Chronicle and on this website – contact us on 021 464 6700 ext. 104 or email email@example.com. For more information and advertising rate card click here.
• Sign up for our newsletter and never miss another issue.
• Please support the Cape Jewish Chronicle with a voluntary Subscription for 2022. For payment info click here.
• Visit our Portal to the Jewish Community to see a list of all the Jewish organisations in Cape Town with links to their websites.
Follow the Chronicle: Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | LinkedIn