By Chaya Singer, Executive Director – SAZF Cape Council
The South African Zionist Federation Cape Council is excited that we are finally able to go back to facilitating communal programmes with educational trips to Israel!
COVID-19 led to a feeling of isolation as South Africa was put on scarlet and red no-fly lists; and some of us missed important family occasions. Of primary concern was the potential erosion of Zionist culture within the community, and the connection that particularly young people feel to each other and to Israel, with the cancellation of our machanot and educational and leadership trips to Israel.
Last month we were thrilled to have sent a group of 40 teachers from Herzlia, Sinai Academy and Phyllis Jowell Schools as well as a teacher from Durban, on a trip to Israel through the Jewish National Fund (JNF). They departed on 4 July for a 10-day programme. At a pre-trip training session held at Herzlia School and hosted by the leader of the trip, mancom member Rabbi Thurgood, Executive Director Chaya Singer gave a presentation on the political narrative around Israel in South Africa.
Our 2022 Diller Cohort, led by co-ordinator Martine Katz, departed for Israel on Friday 1 July for a three-week Diller International Programme — Israel Summer Seminar (ISS), with our partner community in Shoham, Israel. Chaya Singer joined the trip in Tel Chai to run a session during the global meetup on youth leadership in communal and national organisations. The Diller trip is the culmination of a year-long leadership development programme.
The SAZFCC hosted a proud send-off in partnership with Maccabi Western Province for the 100-strong delegation of athletes participating this year from the Western Cape. SAZF CC Treasurer Hagai Golan addressed the packed audience with a powerful speech about the important history of the Maccabi Games, with warm wishes of encouragement to the athletes. The Games took place from 14 — 27 July.
We look forward to many more exciting programme send-offs catering to various sectors of the community! Next year in Jerusalem!
• Published in the August 2022 Digital Edition – Click here to read it.
• To advertise in the Cape Jewish Chronicle and on this website – contact us on 021 464 6700 ext. 104 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information and advertising rate card click here.
• Sign up for our newsletter and never miss another issue.
• Please support the Cape Jewish Chronicle with a voluntary Subscription for 2022. For payment info click here.
• Visit our Portal to the Jewish Community to see a list of all the Jewish organisations in Cape Town with links to their websites.
Follow the Chronicle: Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | LinkedIn