On 9 August, after two years of Covid and online celebrations, it was truly a magical moment as 207 women met at the beautifully decorated Cape Town Holocaust & Genocide Centre to once again, share stories of resilience, courage, and memory.
Held in partnership with the Cape Jewish Board of Deputies, it was appropriate for women’s day to be held in memory of our beloved Holocaust survivor Miriam Lichterman of blessed memory. Patron Shelley Trope-Friedman opened the morning with a very moving presentation of Miriam’s life both during the Shoah and after, with her enormous contribution to the Cape Town Jewish community and the CTHGC.
Second Generation survivor and education guide Batya Glezer shared her memories of growing up next door to Miriam, and the special relationship and bond between Miriam and her family. A medley of songs and music, performed by Zola Schuman, paid tribute to Miriam and really got the women in the mood to enjoy the morning.
Idana Saven’s dance performance to the soundtrack of Schindler’s List was the perfect introduction to our guest speaker Marlene Silbert. An activist, trailblazer and educator, Marlene held the ladies in the palm of her hand as she enthralled us with her life story. A true storyteller at heart, Marlene’s honesty and openness reflected the moments in her life where her resilience and courage motivated her activism during the apartheid years, her love of interfaith work and passion for Holocaust education. Marlene has certainly lived a rich and full life, and she left many of the women inspired and moved.
The audience was enthralled by the speakers and performers, and before anyone noticed, the event had come to an end.
The magic is over but not forgotten, and we wait in anticipation to celebrate Women’s Day again next year.
• Published in the September 2022 Rosh Hashanah Digital Edition – Click here to read it.
• To advertise in the Cape Jewish Chronicle and on this website – kindly contact Lynette Roodt on 021 464 6736 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information and advertising rate card click here.
• Sign up for our newsletter and never miss another issue.
• Please support the Cape Jewish Chronicle with a voluntary Subscription for 2022. For payment info click here.
• Visit our Portal to the Jewish Community to see a list of all the Jewish organisations in Cape Town with links to their websites.
Follow the Cape Jewish Chronicle: Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | LinkedIn