In June, the travelling exhibition Chayela — Wunderkind of the Vilna Ghetto will open at the Centre. The exhibition was conceptualized and developed by the CT Holocaust & Genocide Centre, and the launch will coincide with the 80th anniversary of the liquidation of the Vilna Ghetto by the Nazis in 1943.
Vilna was one of the great centres of Jewish intellectual and cultural life in Eastern Europe, also known as ‘The Jerusalem of Lithuania’. The exhibition traces the life of Chayela Rosenthal (1924-1979), born in Vilna, survivor of the Vilna Ghetto, and internationally acclaimed Yiddish singer, actress, and performer, who made her home in Cape Town after the war. The exhibition will also tell the story of the extraordinary spiritual and cultural resistance of the Jews of Vilna.
In September 2023, we will be hosting the international exhibition Seeing Auschwitz, after a highly successful run at our sister centres in Johannesburg and Durban. The exhibition, created by Musealia, the Auschwitz-Birkenau State Museum, and presented by the CTHGC, will invite visitors to reflect on the way we understand and think about the Holocaust through visual evidence taken from Auschwitz-Birkenau.
Seeing Auschwitz confronts the viewer with both familiar and rare photographs captured by perpetrators, victims, and liberators. The images provide new perspectives and evidence into the operations of the camp, but also honours the humanity of the people who perished there.
The exhibitions will be complemented by a series of public lectures and film screenings, so keep an eye out for these exciting events.
Cape Town Holocaust and Genocide Centre: https://ctholocaust.co.za/, firstname.lastname@example.org
• Published in the April 2023 Edition – Click here to start reading.
• To advertise in the Cape Jewish Chronicle and on this website – kindly contact Lynette Roodt on 021 464 6736 or email email@example.com. For more information and advertising rate card click here.
• Sign up for our newsletter and never miss another issue.
• Please support the Cape Jewish Chronicle with a voluntary Subscription for 2023. For payment info click here.
• Visit our Portal to the Jewish Community to see a list of all the Jewish organisations in Cape Town with links to their websites.
Follow the Cape Jewish Chronicle: Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | LinkedIn