On Monday 15 May, in a packed Old Shul, Professor Milton Shain launched the third volume in his series on the history of antisemitism in South Africa.
Fascists, Fabricators and Fantasists explores the long history of hostile attitudes and irrational fantasies about Jews that existed during apartheid and how they continue to be shaped today.
In conversation with Dr Michael Cardo, Professor Shain elaborated on the political landscape in which antisemitism waxed and waned in South Africa. The discussion included a spotlight on historical figures, on both the right and left sides of the ideological spectrum, who have promoted negative stereotypes and outright lies about Jews. Professor Shain’s immense knowledge of his topic was evident as he exposed the underlying framework of thought that has allowed antisemitism to survive and mutate in successive generations.
After the talk, the author signed copies of the book for the many audience members who were inspired to enlighten themselves further.
Fascists, Fabricators and Fantasists is on sale at the SAJM gift shop and is a fascinating read.
For more information please go to www.sajewishmuseum.co.za
• Published in the June 2023 issue – Click here to start reading.
• To advertise in the Cape Jewish Chronicle and on this website – kindly contact Lynette Roodt on 021 464 6736 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information and advertising rate card click here.
• Sign up for our newsletter and never miss another issue.
• Please support the Cape Jewish Chronicle with a voluntary Subscription for 2023. For payment info click here.
• Visit our Portal to the Jewish Community to see a list of all the Jewish organisations in Cape Town with links to their websites.
Follow the Cape Jewish Chronicle: Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | LinkedIn