The UJW has been actively involved in a wide range of meaningful activities, projects, and community-focused events throughout the months of May, June, July, and August.
In May our 90th AGM was held, during which our guest speaker, Glynnis Breytenbach, delivered an inspiring and entertaining speech. Volunteers who received awards were celebrated and congratulated.
On Menstrual Hygiene Day, Mama Flo organized a Period Power Hour session at The Movement Lab.
Karen Kallmann, the Chairperson of the UJW, conducted tours of the UJW Exhibition for various organisations and groups.
On Youth Day, the UJW collaborated with various organisations, including Noluntu’s Soup Kitchen, Cape SA Jewish Board of Deputies, Maccabi Western Province, and the South African Zionist Federation Cape Council, to host soccer and netball players for a morning of unity, sportsmanship, and fun (pictured below).
Donations of clothes, food, and blankets were collected for our Winter Appeal, and the initiative involved collaboration with The South African Zionist Federation Cape Council and WIZO South Africa.
Mandela Day activities included packing baby bags for our Bags for New Beginnings project, distributing baby bags to Kangaroo Mother Care units at hospitals, hosting a Jumble Sale, and contributing to a shelter for children.
Many children’s books were donated during these months to various organisations, libraries and schools.
Fundraisers were organised by our groups and included a morning tea with Professor Dennis Davis as the guest speaker.
A “Steam up Winter” fundraiser by Nicki Brivik from Ask Nicki: Warm jackets were donated and distributed to residents of The Haven Night Shelter Napier Street.
Women’s Month was celebrated, and the launch event for the UJW book, “Women of Action: A history of the Union of Jewish Women”, took place at the SA Jewish Museum, in partnership with the Jacob Gitlin Library.
Author Karen Kallmann engaged in discussion with Dianna Yach during the book launch.
The book is available for purchase from the UJW office.
If anyone is interested in volunteering, becoming a member, or staying updated about UJW activities, they are encouraged to contact the UJW office at 0214349555 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Published in the September 2023 issue – Click here to start reading.
• To advertise in the Cape Jewish Chronicle and on this website – kindly contact Lynette Roodt on 021 464 6736 or email email@example.com. For more information and advertising rate card click here.
• Sign up for our newsletter and never miss another issue.
• Please support the Cape Jewish Chronicle with a voluntary Subscription for 2023. For payment info click here.
• Visit our Portal to the Jewish Community to see a list of all the Jewish organisations in Cape Town with links to their websites.