The SAJM’s latest exhibition opened to an enthusiastic audience on Sunday 31 August.
The Eternal Scholar: the portrait photography of Arnold Castle is a mesmerising collection of photographs by award-winning amateur photographer Arnold Castle. For over forty years the self-taught master photographed diverse subjects, creating evocative and intimate imagery with the simplest of backgrounds.
The exhibition, finely curated by Arnold’s daughter Elana Castle, consists primarily of 1970s character portraits encompassing a wide range of South African personalities — from a well-known Flamenco dancer and an ex-Miss South Africa runner-up, to people on the fringes of society.
Individual photographs are available for purchase. The Eternal Scholar will be on display until September 2022 and will reward all viewers with the passion of a true artist.
For more information please go to www.sajewishmuseum.co.za
• Published in the September 2022 Rosh Hashanah Digital Edition – Click here to read it.
• To advertise in the Cape Jewish Chronicle and on this website – kindly contact Lynette Roodt on 021 464 6736 or email email@example.com. For more information and advertising rate card click here.
• Sign up for our newsletter and never miss another issue.
• Please support the Cape Jewish Chronicle with a voluntary Subscription for 2022. For payment info click here.
• Visit our Portal to the Jewish Community to see a list of all the Jewish organisations in Cape Town with links to their websites.
Follow the Cape Jewish Chronicle: Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | LinkedIn