Three young men from our community — rising stars in the world of art and fashion — offered an interesting lense through which to view our heritage. At a recent gala evening they stepped up, proudly proclaiming and owning their (our) Litvak heritage. They explained that the clothing they chose to wear (borrowed for the night from three local rabbis) would historically have been worn by all the men in the community on special occasions, as an expression of celebration and respect;and that this informed their choice to present themselves in this way at the event which was themed around opulence and identity. This was in fact culturally appropriate ‘opulent’ attire.
• Published in the December 2022/January 2023 Digital Edition – Click here to read it.
• To advertise in the Cape Jewish Chronicle and on this website – kindly contact Lynette Roodt on 021 464 6736 or email email@example.com. For more information and advertising rate card click here.
• Sign up for our newsletter and never miss another issue.
• Please support the Cape Jewish Chronicle with a voluntary Subscription for 2022. For payment info click here.
• Visit our Portal to the Jewish Community to see a list of all the Jewish organisations in Cape Town with links to their websites.
Follow the Cape Jewish Chronicle: Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | LinkedIn