Capetonian Ryan Maron will re-join the Afghanistan national cricket team as fielding coach for six months, with the possibility of extending the contract subject to performance.
This follows previous work that he did with the national team in 2015 and 2017. The 47-year-old former left-handed opener played 18 first class matches for Western Province A and several seasons for the B team, VRA and Amsterdam CC in the Netherlands, winning two league titles as a player coach with VRA Amsterdam. Ryan also attended the SA national academy headed by Clive Rice and Hylton Ackerman before pursuing a coaching career.
Mentored by Proteas great Jonty Rhodes, he has previously filled roles as fielding coach at both the West Indies and the Dolphins, among several other teams.
Maron founded the Cricket School of Excellence in 1999, and partnered with Rhodes to establish The Jonty Rhodes Way (TJRW) which has conducted high performance programmes in Nepal, India, Zimbabwe, Malawi, Sri Lanka and South Africa.
Maron will work alongside former Pakistan seamer Umar Gul who was recently appointed as Afghanistan’s bowling coach.
• Published in the August 2022 Digital Edition – Click here to read it.
• To advertise in the Cape Jewish Chronicle and on this website – contact us on 021 464 6700 ext. 104 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information and advertising rate card click here.
• Sign up for our newsletter and never miss another issue.
• Please support the Cape Jewish Chronicle with a voluntary Subscription for 2022. For payment info click here.
• Visit our Portal to the Jewish Community to see a list of all the Jewish organisations in Cape Town with links to their websites.
Follow the Chronicle: Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | LinkedIn